Sunday 18 December 2011

Smoke Experiment

I purchased a few smoke bombs/pellets with the intention of dyeing fabric. I wanted to see the impact of the smoke dye on habotai silk and how effective this method would be. I did the experiment twice, once with a dry piece of habotai and another with a damp piece. I used habotai because of it's properties; the fibres are known to take to dye quite well.

Here is a video of the smoke dyeing experiment taking place:



These are the results of the smoke dyeing experiment. The piece of habotai silk at the top is the piece that I had dampened before dyeing. The one at the bottom was dyed dry. I am happy with the effect that the smoke dye had on the damp piece. I like the cloudy inconsistency of it, as I didn't expect for it to dye at all. The one at the bottom didn't turn out as well, although I noticed the closer you put the fabric to the "source" (the orange coloured smoke bomb) the higher the intensity of colour. Overall, I think the experiment was rather successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment